Dec 29, 2009

Bloody Mary Bar

Sorry for the absence. I haven't been feeling well. Actually, I've been so sick that I watched a movie with a talking dog who told a poop joke because I couldn't find the remote and the television was oh so far away. However, I am feeling much better today and I wanted to share a fantastic Bloody Mary recipe that might come in handy on New Years Day.

You have probably noticed that peoples taste in Bloody Mary's varies widely. Some people like a thin drink that is little more than tomato juice watered down with some vodka, others like it so thick it's practically a meal in a glass and spicy enough to make you sweat. This is my personal favorite recipe. I like a Bloody Mary that is thick and spicy, loaded with garlic, horseradish, black pepper, citrus and such a wide array of accompaniments that it is virtually impossible to fit them all into your glass.

I want the option of turning a Bloody Mary into a meal. When I make these for a New Years Day brunch, I set out long skewers next to pretty glasses filled with whatever accompaniments I'm serving. You know the adage, the more the merrier. Olives (plain and blue cheese stuffed), pickled okra, cubes of cheese, celery, chunks of meat such as salami and shrimp for those of you who eat meat and/or fish, large cubes of toasted bread, pickled asparagus, scallions, cucumber sticks, lime wedges. Whatever you can dream up really.

I like approximately 3 parts Bloody Mary mix to 1 part vodka. Ice is essential. Bloody Mary's like lots and lots of ice. Definitely take that into consideration when you make these.



Thick and Spicy Bloody Mary's
makes about 10 servings

5 cups plain tomato juice or hot and spicy V-8 *
Juice of 3 large lemons
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
3 garlic cloves crushed
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
3/4 - 1 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
about 1 3/4 cups unflavored vodka

Thoroughly combine all of the ingredients, I whisk mine. Pour over ice, squeeze a lime wedge on top and sprinkle with celery salt and fresh ground black pepper.
If you wanted to do a little something extra, you could run a lime wedge around the rim of your glass and dip the rim in a bit of celery salt prior to filling your glasses of course.

*I always made this with plain tomato juice, until one day, at the request of my spice loving father, I made it with hot and spicy V-8. I loved it and now I usually make it that way. It's much thicker and spicier.

May you have a wonderful new year filled with peace, love, happiness, good health and great food. I look forward to spending 2010 with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment