Dec 3, 2009

To Eat or Not to Eat... Meat

I feel like I need to come clean about something...I no longer eat meat. This isn't completely new. I was more or less a vegetarian for over 15 years, I started craving meat when I was pregnant which is when I started eating it again, that was 5 years ago. I can't do it anymore. There are a multitude of reasons for this. It's environmentally unsound. Absolutely disgusting things are done to the meat in order to add weight to it. The animals are kept in horrific, inhumane conditions... I can't ignore the facts any more which for me means I can no longer eat meat. It no longer seems like food to me.

I am not a fan of labels, they seem to imply rules which quite frankly I've never been good at following. However, I can't deny the fact that I'm a vegetarian. Since this is a food blog, I'll be documenting my semi new food adventures here.

I hope that even you meat eaters stick with me. Even though I am no longer eating meat, I still have a meat loving family to feed. My goal is to make meals that they will enjoy. Not meals of meat replacements but food so good the thought of meat not being part of it doesn't even cross your mind. How's that for setting the bar high?!

For those of you interested in learning more about our food supply I highly recommend reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer and Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan. They are fantastic thought provoking books that if nothing else will make you more aware of the food you eat.

5 comments:

  1. Not to eat (meat). That's my vote!
    Looking forward more than every to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think the same thing, but vegetarianism is not the answer. There has NEVER been a society to exist without meat and animal products. While I agree that conventional meat is deplorable and down right dangerous, the answer is to buy from a farmer who raises properly pastured humanely treated animals. They are everywhere and easy to find. Check out the Weston A. Price Foundation. They will lead you to such farmers. Your body was designed to eat healthy meats, infact it will only be a matter of time before a person's body will start experiencing the ill effects of lack of sufficient animal products in their diet. Find real raw milk, raw grass fed cheese and butter, pastured poultry... Read more at the Weston A. Price Foundation and then tell me you still want/need to be a vegetarian.
    So, To Eat is my vote, but never from the grocery store!

    In Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that if you choose to eat meat it should be done in a manner that is respectful to the environment and maintains the health of the animal thus maintaining the healthful properties of the meat.

    Thank you so much for your comment.
    For those of you who are interested visit www.westonaprice.org

    There is quite a bit of information on the site. I look forward to looking through it more thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very interesting web site - too much to take in at one time. I will be going back. I don't believe a person can call themselves a vegetartian if they walk around in leather shoes , carry a leather purse, wear leather gloves or have leather furniture - including their car. I strongly believe animals are a food source but unfortunately the way they are treated (including what they are fed and medicated with) is why I try to avoid meat and other food items. Can we go back to a time where a farmer can make a living treating his livestock with the respect they deserve yet not break the bank for the consumer?
    I love the recipes I've found on this blog and look forward to trying the next one, meat or no meat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes we can go back to a time where a farmer can make a living with humane farming. They are now called "grass farmers". They farm the proper nutritious grasses for their beef/animals that in turn give us the healthy meat/dairy we need. There is a strong movement going on now. Joel Salatin has led the way for many. The consumer's demand does have the power to change things. Watch the movie Food Inc. Or Fresh. Food Inc. is now streaming on Netflicks if you have it.
    About breaking the bank: We Americans have a distorted opinion on what food should cost due to government subsidie's artificially deflating the price of food. It costs more to raise/grow the food than what we are being charged. Do you know that a conventional dairy farmer has been getting $.99 per hundred weight (pounds) for his milk? Now, you tell me how a farmer can make a "living" doing that? Local grass based farmers are now able to grow healthy foods while getting a fair price by selling to local markets, buying clubs and local stores. We benefit and save by no more Doctor visits, co-pays and medications. There is no price on good health.

    ReplyDelete