Nov 23, 2009

Cranberry Sauce

I would like to apologize for the lack of pictures. I always like to see the end product of a recipe and I'm sure I'm not alone. I seem to have misplaced my camera. Hopefully it will turn up soon!
Anyway...on to cranberry sauce -
I'm pretty sure the only reason I ever ate turkey was so I could use it to put large quantities of cranberry sauce on. I love homemade cranberry sauce. It's easy enough for my kids to make which is great because they are very eager to contribute to our Thanksgiving dinner this year.
I've made so many different types of cranberry sauces over the years, my favorite additions probably being cardamom and ginger. But for Thanksgiving I try to keep it simple. There are already so many flavors at the meal. I've found that a traditional, simple cranberry sauce is best.
This way you're adding a nice bright flavor without being overwhelming.


Cranberry Sauce
1 bag fresh cranberries
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
pinch of salt

Combine water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add cranberries, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, add orange zest and salt.
You can make the cranberry sauce up to a week ahead of time.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Erika,

    I'm Lena, Max's friend. Just checking out your blog. It's great!I also love cranberry sauce! The last couple of times I made it I replaced the water with red wine and the sugar with agave! It was amazing. You should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good. I'm a huge fan of agave and I love red wine in anything I can get it in! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane von KirchbachDecember 25, 2009

    Great blog, Erika! Racine shared the link yesterday... and I enjoyed reading your blog.
    I made cranberry sauce from fresh cranberries for the first time this Thanksgiving - and it was so good and so easy (never going back to the canned variety!). Very similar recipe - but I just used orange juice instead of water, and did not add any orange zest. It is also very good with yogurt or on crackers, if you end up with any leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to go back to the canned stuffed after they have had it fresh! Great simple ideas for using up any sauce that might be left over - Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete