Feb 13, 2010

Hot Chocolate Love

I, like many people, love Paris. I have fallen in love with many things there - not the least of which is hot chocolate. Not cocoa mind you, I fell for the thick, dark, sinfully delicious chocolate in liquid form.

The last time I was in Paris (which was much too long ago) it was early spring. There seemed to be a constant freezing drizzle, I was always cold and on top of that I was sick. One cup of hot chocolate and my bones thawed. As crazy as it sounds I felt instantly better.

My hot chocolate epiphany occurred at the world famous Angelina. It was fun simply being in a room with so many people excited about hot chocolate. The place was filled with such energy. The hot chocolate (called le Chocolat Africain) was served with a not so small bowl of unsweetened whipped cream and a pitcher of water. Once I drank the chocolate, I had some sort of fantastic reaction. I literally felt different. More relaxed, rested, restored... a little high actually. It was amazing, it was more of a pick me up than any cup of coffee I've ever had and far more enjoyable.

Not only do I love hot chocolate, I love winter, for sledding and snow ball fights, holidays and fires, the quiet that accompanies a snowfall, the softness of the sunrise and sunset. I love winter for giving me the perfect hot chocolate weather.

The following recipe is NOT le Chocolat Africain, that is a carefully guarded secret that Angelina's will not part with. However this recipe is wonderful. If you don't absolutely love chocolate, this recipe is probably not for you.

This is not the kind of hot chocolate you gulp down by the over sized mug full. This chocolate is meant to be savored. This hot chocolate makes you understand why chocolate is considered an aphrodisiac. Be forewarned it is absolutely addictive.


Click here to print this recipe

Hot Chocolate

Makes 2 servings

1 cup whole milk*
4 ounces semisweet chocolate
pinch of salt

In a sauce pan bring the milk to a simmer. Turn off the heat and add the chocolate and the pinch of salt. Whisk to make sure it is all combined.
Serve with unsweetened whipped cream.


* You can use 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream. It will be much more rich but I find the chocolate flavor is just a bit overwhelmed by the heaviness of the cream. However it is still delicious this way so play around, see which you prefer and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment