Feb 4, 2010

Black Bean Chili with Sweet Potatoes and Spinach


Every year around the Super Bowl I have this craving for chili. It doesn't make sense to me because I don't watch the Super Bowl, actually I usually don't even know who is playing. All I can think is I'm somehow being subjected to subliminal chili propaganda. Or the fact that I read ridiculous amounts of food related content and they must usually feature chili as Superbowl fare. It makes sense because it's easy. You can make it ahead of time and it can almost effortlessly feed a crowd.
(I know that this year the Saints are playing because the majority of food sites are featuring gumbo. If I develop a good gumbo recipe in time I'll post it for all you Saints fans and Gumbo fans)

It's pretty cold where I live which makes it perfect chili weather. This chili is fantastic if a little nontraditional. The fact that it's healthy is just a bonus. I love the classic combination of black beans with orange things, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, pumpkin... The addition of spinach came about after I had come across some baby spinach in my refrigerator that had to be used and I'm so glad it did! While it only adds a very subtle flavor, it adds lots nutritionally. By the way, my 2 and 4 year old love this.



Black Bean Chili with Sweet Potatoes and Spinach

olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 tablespoons ground cumin (you could use chili powder)
3 15-ounce cans black beans, drained
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
8 ounces baby spinach (you can use regular spinach, just remove the stems and coarsely chop)

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic, saute until tender and golden. Add squash and cumin. Cook until fragrant about 2 minutes. Stir in beans and tomatoes with juices and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, until squash is tender, about 15 minutes (if it is too thick for you, add up to 2 cups of water at this point) . Stir in spinach and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Ladle chili into bowls and serve with cilantro, chopped red onion, sour cream and cheddar to garish.

Click here to print this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment