Mar 4, 2010

Oatmeal, Almond, Cocolate Cookies sweetened with Banana


I've been on the lookout for sweet little treats that are wheat free and are not loaded with sugar or even worse sugar substitutes. I've been intrigued with using fruit purees in place of sugar. I would often use apple sauce in place of eggs when I would bake for my vegan friends and always thought that this might make it possible to eliminate any added sugars.

I found a recipe for Nikki's Healthy Cookies Recipe on Heidi Swanson's fantastic website 101 cookbooks. In the recipe she uses oats and in place of sugar she uses mashed banana, just what I've been looking for! You might be thinking healthy cookies can't possibly be good. According to my grandma and mom, white flour, real butter and sugar are what make a cookie good. Even if this is your belief, I urge you to try these. They are so easy to make and they truly do taste good. It satisfied my sweet craving as well as my kids. Plus there is nothing to feel guilty about after you eat a couple of these, who doesn't love that?

Because I apparently have an inability to follow a recipe I changed a few things. I omitted a few ingredients. I added more nuts to up the protein and cocoa powder to get in some extra antioxidants. I was so happy with the results. They had a nice chocolate flavor that was complimented by the sweetness of the banana. What a wonderful afternoon treat with a cup of tea or coffee. When I make these again, (and I will be making these again, very soon) I might add some larger pieces of almonds for added crunch and maybe try it without the chocolate chips to reduce the fat and make it sugar free. Adding dried cranberries might add some interest... so many versions to try!



Oatmeal Almond Chocolate cookies Sweetened with Banana

makes about 40 cookies
adapted from Nikki's Healthy Cookies at 101 cookbooks

1 1/2 cup mashed banana (about 3 large, ripe bananas)
1/4 cup coconut oil warmed to liquid state (you could use olive oil)
2 cups oats
1 cup almond meal*
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips (if you want to make these vegan omit, or use vegan chips)

In a large bowl combine the oats, almond meal, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, set aside. In another bowl, combine the banana and oil. Add the banana mixture to the oat mixture and stir to combine. Stir in the chocolate chips. On a lightly oiled cookie sheet, place leveled tablespoons of the dough about an inch apart.
Bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit in the center or upper third of the oven for 12 - 15 minutes.

*you can make this by pulsing almonds in a food processor until it is the texture of sand, don't go too far or you'll get almond butter

click here to print this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment