Oct 2, 2009

10 minute Black Bean Soup

This weekend my family, friends and I are walking in the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation fundraiser. After the walk we are all coming to my house for chili and games. I haven't even begun to get anything ready.
The deadline for my Cigar Press article and recipe is Monday, and I have a serious case of writers block.
My daughter came home with a cold and about an hour later my youngest son woke up from his nap with a cold.
I don't have time for dinner tonight... With 3 young kids, that's not really an option so I looked in the cabinet and threw together black bean soup. It was literally done in 10 minutes, and it is really tasty. My daughter Lola has declared it her favorite. Success.

In a food processor chop
1 onion
2 carrots
Throw into a hot pot with a little oil and saute for a couple minutes

In the food processor finely chop
1 jalapeno (with or with out seeds)
3 garlic cloves
Add to pot with 1 1/2 Tablespoons Cumin and saute until fragrant, about 1 min

Add and bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes (with the liquid)
2 14 oz cans black beans
2 -3 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup orange juice
salt to taste

Smash some of the black beans to thicken the soup a little

Top each serving with a generous amount of chopped cilantro, diced avocado, crumbled feta (unless your making it vegan) and a bit of fresh lime juice.



No comments:

Post a Comment