Oct 28, 2009

Canberry Apple Oatmeal with Walnuts


I don't give my kids dry cereal. I don't think it's a healthy way to start the day. I know there are "healthy" cereals out there, but I prefer to give them something else, something more substantial. Because of this I'm constantly looking for quick healthy alternatives.
The other morning we were running late, I was trying to throw breakfast together really quick so I reached for oatmeal. I usually make my oatmeal with milk or soy milk because I really don't like the taste of it when it's made with water. I was out of milk. Actually I was out of pretty much everything but I did have fresh apple cider. I also had a bag of fresh cranberries on hand.
They turned out to be a delicious additions to oat meal, which lets face it can be quite boring. Not only are my kids eating healthy oat meal, but they are getting cranberries which are loaded with antioxidants.

Cranberry Apple Oatmeal with Walnuts
(makes 4 servings)

2 cups oats
2 cups apple cider
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup walnut pieces

In a large pot add oats, cider, water, cranberries and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the berries start to break up. Stir in cinnamon and walnuts. Serve with honey.
If you like your oatmeal even sweeter, you can add more cider in place of the water.

I've made a single serving of this for myself and it turns out really well (just use 1/4 of all the ingredients).

I've also made this in the microwave which I think I prefer. The berries break up more, just make sure you use a large bowl because it boils up. It took about 10 minutes in my microwave...no stirring needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment