Oct 6, 2009

Caraway crusted Pork Tenderloin with Apples


Apple picking is one of my favorite autumn activities. I love being out in the crisp air, scented by the sweet apples. I love how easy apple picking is. It goes by relatively quick, so it is a good activity for young kids. Often horses and/or tractors are involved which is always a hit with the younger crowd. What I really love is that it signals the arrival of fall, my absolute favorite time of year.

Don't get me wrong I love all the seasons, the warm lazy days of summer, the magic of winter, the freshness of spring, but fall seems to be the most exciting.

Any day now the leaves will show their true colors amazing us all, no matter how many falls we've witnessed. I am now free to use my oven without worrying about warming up my house, Halloween is right around the corner, and soon my family and friends will fill my home for my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving. Apple picking signals the beginning of this all.






It is easy to go overboard when you're picking apples. I'm always trying to come up with ways to use the abundance of fruit we undoubtedly bring home. Certain things make annual appearances, apple butter, apple dutch baby, apple pie and my personal favorite, caraway crusted pork tenderloin with apples, onions and cheddar cheese mashed potatoes.

Caraway Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Apples and Onions

1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin
2 Tablespoons country style dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons whole caraway seeds
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 large apple (such as Figi or Honeycrisp) peeled, cored and cut into thin slices
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup butter cut into pieces
coarse kosher salt
fresh cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 F. Salt and pepper the pork. Using an oven friendly pan, on the stove, add a little oil, once the oil is hot, add the pork tenderloin and sear on all sides.
Remove the pork and add the apples and onions to the pan.
Brush the dijon onto all sides of the pork and coat with the caraway seeds.
Place the pork on top of the apple and onion mixture and put in the oven for 12 minutes.
Turn pork over, add the wine and roast for another 10-12 minutes.
Remove pork from oven, place on a cutting board and cover to keep warm. Add butter to the apple mixture and return the pan to the oven. After 15 minutes, cut the pork into slices, remove apple mixture from the oven. arrange pork slices on top of the apple and onions, serve with cheddar cheese mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment